This is the “homework” of buying a franchise. Franchisors want you to buy their franchise, and their materials are structured with this goal in mind. The more you learn about franchising and the franchise selection process, the more successful you will be at understanding what the franchisor is really offering you. We highly recommend the following sources of information about franchising and franchise opportunities:
- The Franchise Fraud: How to Protect Yourself Before & After You Invest, by AAFD Chairman Robert Purvin, AAFD member price available.
- Buying a Franchise: The Better Business Bureau Insider’s Guide to Success, The Better Business Bureau
- How Much Can I Make? by Rob Bond, Sourcebook Publications, 2009, (AAFD Member Price Available)
- Franchising 101: The Complete Guide to Evaluating, Buying and Growing Your Franchise Business, The Association of Small Business Development Centers
- Buying a Franchise: A Consumer Guide, published by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. (Free PDF available on the FTC’s website.)
- The AAFD’s unique Franchise Self Evaluation Tool. Our Evaluation Tool enables you to easily grade a specific franchise opportunity against the AAFD's Eight Criteria for Buying a Franchise and the Franchisee Bill of Rights. It also gives you a side-by-side comparison of various opportunities you are considering. The Franchise Self Evaluation Tool is included with an AAFD Associate Membership.
Franchise Opportunity Directories:
- The AAFD Franchise Business Sales Directory, Powered by BizBuySell.com. A national directory of existing franchised business for sale, and franchisors seeking new franchisees.
- The Franchise Handbook, available by subscription or can be purchased at your local newsstand or book store.
- Franchise Times Magazine
- Franchise Times Top 200