The Franchisees of America, representing the best of the American entrepreneurial spirit, hereby recognize and demand a basic minimum of commercial dignity, equity and fairness. In recognition there of, the franchisees of America do proclaim this Franchisee Bill of Rights as the minimum requirements of a fair and equitable franchise system:
- The right to an equity in the franchised business, including the right to meaningful market protection.
- The right to engage in a trade or business, including a post-termination right to compete.
- The right to the franchisors loyalty, good faith and fair dealing, and due care in the performance of the franchisors duties, and a fiduciary relationship where one has been promised or created by conduct.
- The right to trademark protection.
- The right to full disclosure from the franchisor, including the right to earnings data available to the franchisor which is relevant to the franchisees decision to enter or remain in the franchise relationship.
- The right to initial and ongoing training and support.
- The right to competitive sourcing of inventory, product, service and supplies.
- The right to reasonable restraints upon the franchisors ability to require changes within the franchise system.
- The right to marketing assistance.
- The right to associate with other franchisees.
- The right to representation and access to the franchisor.
- The right to local dispute resolution and protection under the laws and the courts of the franchisee’s jurisdiction.
- A reasonable right to renew the franchise.
- The reciprocal right to terminate the franchise agreement for reasonable and just cause, and the right not to face termination, unless for cause.
THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF FRANCHISEES AND DEALERS HAS DEVELOPED THE FRANCHISEE BILL OF RIGHTS AND WORKS TO PROMOTE AWARENESS AND ACCEPTANCE OF IT AMONG THE FRANCHISING COMMUNITY AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
Please take a moment to watch our 3 1/2 minute AAFD video, our vision of Total Quality Franchising, and our support for strong and effective franchisee associations. Let the AAFD help empower your success as an owner of a franchised business.