Part 4 of a 10-Part Series on the AAFD Road Map to Buying a Franchise.
The AAFD’s Top Franchisee Resources
I know I’ve already said this about a dozen times on this blog, but it bears repeating – investing in a franchise is a huge decision that will have monumental consequences for your personal, professional, and financial life. It is not a decision to be taken lightly or without a good amount of research.
That’s right, before you take the franchise plunge, do your homework and make sure you approach the process with plenty of knowledge and insight.
To help you out, I’ve put together a list of the top eight resources that every franchisee should read before and after investing in a franchise. Of course the book written by yours truly is at the top of the list (it is my list after all), but each of these resources is incredibly informative and useful. Once you’ve polished off this list, you’ll have a leg up as you approach the franchise selection and investment process.
Books and Publications About Franchising
1. The Franchise Fraud: How to Protect Yourself Before and After you Invest by Robert Purvin, Chairman of the American Association of Franchisees and Dealers. A special discount price is available to all AAFD members. Check out the dozen reviews on Amazon.com and the recent video review of the book by Sherri Starcher of the Franchwire book club.
2. Buying a Franchise: The Better Business Bureau Insider’s Guide to Success by the Better Business Bureau
3. How Much Can I Make? By Rob Bond (AAFD member discount available)
4. Franchising 101: The Complete Buide to Evaluating, Buying and Growing Your Franchise Business by The Association of Small Business Development Centers
5. Buying a Franchise: A Consumer Guide by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission
Franchise Opportunity Directories
6. Bond’s Franchise Guide by R.E. Bond (AAFD discount available)
7. The Franchise Handbook – Available on newsstands and online. Published by Enterprise Magazines, Inc. Milwaukee, WI.
8. The SuperBook of Franchise Opportunities by Franchise Times Magazine